Monday, November 10, 2014

How I Taught My Son to Fail

By Lisa Manheim for Raising Kvell

This past summer, I taught my child to fail.

This must defy some canon of parenthood, which compels us to equip our children with all the things they need to succeed.

But by summer’s end, my husband and I had exhausted our bag of tricks (and our patience) trying to teach almost-6-year old Emmet to ride his two-wheel bike: the same bike from which he had begged us to remove the training wheels, after watching a younger neighbor zipping around on two wheels.

At first, we tried balancing him on the bike without pedaling, so that he could feel the sensation of instability.

“Wooooo!” he exclaimed, as he tilted over and planted his feet on the ground.

“That’s good!” Jeff affirmed. “When you ‘feel the woo,’ you know to balance yourself!”

Emmet wasn’t interested in the “woo.” In fact, the woo scared him off his bike for days. Turns out, Emmet was absolutely terrified of falling.

Continue reading.  

Follow us on   

No comments:

Post a Comment